2015 Goals: March Update

Increase Net Worth – Target of 40% across the year
So to be on target I need to aim for an increase of approximately 2.8436156% a month –> ([1.4 ^ (1/12)] – 1) x 100 or 8.78% compounded to date.

Another good month 🙂   Net worth increased by 6.09% in the month and 18.15% since the start of the year.

NW for the year to date is here.

PASS

Savings rate – Target average of 60%
March wasn’t as good as February’s 71.4%, as it dropped off to 50.3%.  But I’m not going to sweat it too much as this is still saving pretty damn hard.
I actually received a bonus this month but that went 100% on wedding expenses.
On a simple average that is 59.3% for the year to date, which is just below the target for the year.  Still, it was set to stretch me.
With both the in month rate and the average to date being below target I will have a concede a fail here this month.

FAIL

Cycling – Target 200 miles a month average
Ah yes, things have started to pick up here.  It’s been pretty wet and windy all month, but I have made a little bit of progress towards getting my deficit down for the year with 249 miles cycled in March.  Hardly record breaking, but it’s a start.  With the gym down to one day a week in April this should start gaining more momentum.

I was at 100 miles at the end of February and I now sit at 349 miles in total for the year. A deficit of 251 miles in the year to date.  Easy.

Following my knee injury I am miles behind in training and have my first Time Trial race on Wednesday, it’s going to hurt.
I found this event today (a 24 hour race around the Le Mans circuit) and I’m going to book a place for 2016.  It’s not cheap but it looks ace.  So far though, none of my cycling buddies are keen.  I will wear them down by constantly asking if they are keen.

FAIL

Although a couple of fails, I am still feeling pretty good.  Plans for April?  Smash the NW target, nail the savings rate and cycle 300 miles.  Simple, right?

11 thoughts on “2015 Goals: March Update

1. Retirement Investing Today

Hi Mr Z

Fight that 60% savings rate hard – you can do it. 7.5 years into my FI journey I've found that the savings rate is probably the best kept secret preventing people from early FI. It's important because it gives you a double hit – the savings move you to the goal posts but the lower spending brings the goal posts towards you.

From 2008 to 2014 my high savings rate has made more of a contribution to my wealth creation than investment return in all but one year. This YTD it looks like compound interest might be starting to do its thing with the contributions about equal.

RIT

Well done on the NW increase and still pretty much maintaining your awesome 60% savings rate. Good luck with the cycling – that's a tough physical challenge!

3. No More Waffles

Mr. Z,

Congrats on your average savings rate! There aren't many people that manage to save 60% of their income, but you're one of them without too much sweat.

The speed at which your net worth is growing isn't lying: you're doing fantastic. Keep it up!

Happy Easter,
    NMW

Thanks for the encouragement RIT. It's been a bit of a lifestyle redesign over the last few months, but in all honestly relatively painless and I am still enjoying it.

Hitting that milestone where your contributions are being caught by investment return must be a great feeling!

Thanks Weenie, I'm remaining positive that I can still hit the target for the year.

Weather this bank holiday was superb, nearly got half my miles in for April 🙂

6. No More Waffles

Z,

I didn't have enough time on my hands to properly enjoy it, but I've watched some parts here and there. My roommate has been hunkered down in front of the television for the past few weeks and he believes it's one of the more exciting times in cycling of the past few years.

Belgium remains crazy about cycling after all! 🙂

Cheers,
    NMW

Two fairly harsh on yourself fails there I feel but fair play to you for keeping yourself honest! 🙂

When is the wedding if you don't mind me asking, and what are your plans for it? I would like to see a post on that. I think we went way overboard on ours but the wheels were already in motion when I discovered this whole FI ballgame and expenses had already been accrued. I think you could have a spanking wedding for around 10K but ours was probably more like 15K plus a 5K honeymoon. Gulp…!!! Luckily we had a fair bit of help from the parents though! MMM recommends forgoing the big wedding completely and just got married on their own I think I read somewhere on his blog! Practically unheard of nowadays but if was socially acceptable I would have been up for that 🙂

Thanks! If anything trying to save for a wedding as well, will boost my savings rate after the wedding massively… staying positive….

It's next April, so a while away yet.

I think it will be similar to yours + inflation. It's tough because we are getting help from both parents. So it makes you feel like you can't do it super cheap as they could think you are just pocketing the cash, haha.

I could be keen for a small affair like that as well, but again having been to other peoples weddings then it feels like you have to have a party to 'repay' the favour.

I will do a post on the wedding at some point… but for now I am just keeping the cost under control 🙂